· By Nalawoman Inc. Philippines
The Fishy Rumors around Vaginal Odor
A healthy vagina doesn’t smell like flowers and sunshine.
It's only natural to worry about what's going on with our bodies. After all, we don’t often talk about what goes on “down there”.
Rest assured, if you notice a pungent smell alone, don't be alarmed.
Why does the vagina smell?
The natural ecosystem of your body includes billions of healthy bacteria in the vagina. Our odor can vary from person to person. Those who sweat a lot may have a stronger odor due to their groin sweat glands.
Our body chemistry can also change at a moment’s notice; Menstrual cycles, pregnancy, sex, and even stress can affect the way our vagina smells.
The question is, how do we handle this?
Let’s start with what we shouldn’t do:
- Overwashing or scrubbing
- Using antibacterial or scented soaps that could irritate the skin
- Using scented deodorants
It might surprise you to learn that some of these practices could make things worse.
A disturbed vaginal flora (our vaginal bacteria) can cause an imbalance and overgrowth of unhealthy bacteria, making the smell even stronger!Though, that doesn’t necessarily lead to a health issue either.
If your odor comes with other symptoms such as itching, irritation, burning, or pain, then it’s best to consult a professional. You can use our code NALAWOMAN to get PHP 300 off when you book a consultation of your choice on Kindred.
If it’s only the smell that you’re worried about, here is what we should do instead:
- Wear breathable underwear. Silk and spandex can trap moisture, and isn’t very breathable. Look for cotton underwear like BareBorn’s– an alternative to fast-fashion when it comes to every-day wear providing comfort, sustainability, and circularity.
- Avoid perfumes, powders, and deodorants. None of Nala’s products use any fragrances or perfumes, so they’re guaranteed safe to use.
- Be gentle when you wash. Do not overuse soap.
- Avoid wet or damp undergarments for extended periods of time. This builds bacteria.
Remember to breathe easy! The human body can be a mystery, but that’s why we’ve got you covered.